Our Executive Chef, Jamil Pineda, shared this recipe with Sarasota's Abc7 News on November 21, 2019. Here's the complete recipe in case you missed the cooking segment, or simply join us at Michael's On East to enjoy this delicious dish available on the Restaurant’s Greek Epicurean Menu through December 2019.
Pan-Seared Mahi Mahi Plaki Style
The term plaki (plah-KEE) in Greek is used to describe a dish that is usually cooked with olive oil, tomatoes, and vegetables in the oven.
Ingredients for Plaki Sauce:
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2-bulb fennel large sliced
- 1/2-cup olive oil
- 3 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1-tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2-teaspoon salt
- 1/4-teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium lemons, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4-cup soft breadcrumbs
Sauté the sliced onion & olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and stir constantly until tender. Add tomato and next 5 ingredients; cook and stir constantly, until the liquid evaporates. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Ingredients for Greek Lemon Roasted Potatoes:
- 2.5lb Idaho Medium Potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock broth, low sodium
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- Lemon wedges
- Fresh oregano leaves
Steps for Greek Lemon Roasted Potatoes:
Preheat oven to 350F
Peel potatoes and cut into thick wedges - about 3cm / 1.2" thick. Place in a roasting pan with all the other ingredients. Toss well.
Roast for 20 minutes. Turn potatoes, roast for a further 25 to 30 minutes until the liquid is mostly absorbed by potatoes/evaporated and you're left with mostly oil in the pan. Drizzle over the potatoes.
Transfer potatoes to oven and roast for 10 minutes, turning once or twice until potatoes are golden and a bit crispy. Transfer potatoes for plate up.
Ingredients for Mahi Mahi Fish:
- 4- 7 to 8 oz Mahi-Mahi filets or any other Flaky Fish
- 4 Cups of Plaki sauce
- 16 caperberries cut in half
- 12 each lemon wheels
- 3oz olive oil
- 2 cups lemon Greek potatoes
- 1 cup Kalamata olives
- Salt and Black pepper for seasoning
- 2 cups Sautéed Spinach with Garlic
Steps for Mahi Mahi:
- Season the fish with salt and pepper. Heat a sauté pan on medium-high, add the oil and sear the fish on both sides to medium-rare.
- Add a cup of the Plaki sauce on top of the fish fallow with 6 halves of caperberries, some kalamata olives and 3 each lemon wheels and bake on a 450-degree oven for about 8 minutes.
- On 4 plates add one piece of fish topped with Plaki sauce then divide the potatoes and Spinach. Serve & enjoy!