Another recipe from the Michael’s On East kitchen – practically!
This recipe has been shared by Chef Anna Ridgewell from South Africa’s Londolozi Game Reserve. Chef Anna will be hosting a series of special events in partnership with Michael’s On East this November: www.safarisarasota.com.
Michael’s On East Executive Chef Jamil Pineda recently prepared this recipe for ABC 7 viewers to offer a preview of the “Safari Sarasota” events and the South African Epicurean Adventure menu which will be offered throughout November 2017 in the Restaurant.
South African Seared Scallops
Ruby Grapefruit & Rocket (Arugula) Salad
900g / 2 lbs Scallops
2 Large Ruby Grapefruit
1 Tsp Honey
1 Tbsp Freshly squeezed Lime Juice
½ Piece Fresh ginger, grated
5 Tbsp Olive Oil
30g Pine Nuts
Bunch Fresh Rocket (Arugula)
Salt & Pepper
- Remove the peel and pith from the grapefruit. Segment the grapefruits over a bowl, so you can keep the grapefruit juice. Squeeze the remaining juice out the grapefruits.
- In a bowl – place the honey, lime juice, fresh ginger & grapefruit juice and whisk together with the olive oil. Keep on the side to infuse the flavors.
- Clean and pat dry the scallops.
- Heat a non-stick pan and melt some butter. When hot, pan sear the scallops until golden brown on each side. Be gentle with them and don’t overcook as they will become tough! This will take about 4 minutes on each side.
- Place the rocket in a bowl and drizzle a little of the dressing over. Gently toss together, then place the rocket on the plate.
- Arrange the warm scallops (3 per person) on top of the rocket, sprinkle with pine nuts and the grapefruit segments. Drizzle a little of the dressing over and serve.